Rating: PG (I know, right? I'm shocked too!!!)
Summary: Fluffy future-take from the Faithfully universe. You don't have to have read that story to get this one, but it might help.
Disclaimer: I don’t own them
Notes: Not beta’ed. This is for a very special person. She knows who she is. :)
“Go get Mummy up!” Kristen heard Rob’s scratchy morning voice from kitchen.
She giggled as she heard eight furry feet come bounding down the hallway and braced herself for the force that was Bear and Bernie.
Bear bounded into the room first, still full of puppy-like energy. He jumped up onto the bed and got down onto into an army crawl making his way playfully to Kristen.
“Good morning, Baby Boy,” Kristen cooed, reaching for him. At her signal he launched himself at her, lathering her face with sloppy kisses. “Okay, okay, I'm up!” she laughed, gently pushing him away and sitting up.
Bernie was sitting patiently at the edge of the bed, waiting for her turn, knowing that the bed was normally off limits. She was much more weary about it than Bear.
Kristen patted the bed. “Come on, baby, just for today.”
She let out a bark of approval and hopped up, situating herself with her head on Kristen’s lap.
“I see they suckered you into breaking the no bed rule,” Rob teased from the doorway. “Again,” he added cheekily.
“You hush! I know you let them up here when I’m not around!”
Unable to argue, he simply stuck his tongue out.
She laughed. “Get over here,” she said, patting the strip of empty bed beside the dogs.
Bear’s tail thumped against her leg as he watched Rob sit down on the bed.
“So, Happy Birthday,” he said casually as Bear climbed all over him, trying to give him kisses.
Kristen smiled and reached over, cupping his chin in her hand and pulling him closer. “Thank you,” she said, kissing him softly.
She leaned back against the headboard, scratching a sleepy Bernie’s ears. “Is the munchkin still sleeping?” she asked.
Rob wrapped his arm around his wife’s shoulder and kissed her temple. “Actually, she’s been up for over an hour.”
“And you left her out there alone!?”
Rob chuckled. “Actually, she kicked me out of the kitchen after she was done using me for help with the stove. She’s making you a birthday breakfast.”
Kristen smiled, burying her face in Rob’s neck and breathing in his scent. “Well, at least Miss Independence knows not to try using the stove without one of us,” she chuckled.
“Oh, it took some convincing, trust me.”
“She’s amazing though, isn’t she?” she asked softly, her eyes resting on a framed family picture of her, Rob, Sophie and the dogs sitting on top of the dresser.
“She is,” he agreed. “Just like her Mum.”
Their quiet conversation was interrupted by the sound of little feet making their way down the hallway and stopping outside the room.
“Daddy!”
“What’s wrong, pumpkin?”
“Come here!” she stage whispered.
Kristen held in her giggles, not wanting to upset their daughter by spoiling a surprise.
“I’m coming, Little Bird,” he said, winking at Kristen before climbing out of bed.
Kristen held in her giggles as she listened to the conversation between Sophie and Rob.
“Why don’t you let Daddy carry it for you?” Rob asked.
“No! I want to carry it!” she whined.
“Okay, calm down,” he told her patiently.
There was more whispering that she couldn’t make out as they moved further down the hallway, away from the bedroom.
A few minutes later, she heard careful footsteps making their way back towards the bedroom.
“Happy Birthday Momma!” Sophie called as Rob carried her into the bedroom.
Kristen grinned at their compromise. Their daughter held a tray with a plate stacked full of pancakes, which were dripping in syrup and whipped cream, a quart of milk, and three paper cups. Rob had simply picked her up, tray and all so that she could still have her way but not spill anything.
“Thank you, my love!” Kristen exclaimed. “What’s all this?” she asked, reaching to take the precariously balanced tray from Sophie and place it on the bed, after shooing the dogs down.
“I made you breakfast!”
“You did? All by yourself?”
Sophie nodded emphatically as Rob placed her down on the bed and she scooted up against the headboard, mirroring her mom. “Daddy helped me with the pancakes though. I’m not s’posed to use the stove by myself, ‘member?”
“That’s right, precious,” Kristen said, reaching out to give Sophie a hug. “This is the best birthday surprise ever,” she said, winking at her.
Sophie’s grin widened. “Will you share your pancakes with me? Daddy said I had to ask you, but I added lots of sugar and whipped cream ‘cuz it’s my favorite!”
Kristen chuckled at the brutal honesty that came from her daughter. “I will definitely share them with you,” she promised. She leaned closer and whispered, “Daddy looks hungry too…maybe we should share with him too?”
“Kay! Daddy, come sit!” Sophie ordered. “Momma’s gonna share!”
Rob chuckled and sat down on the other side of the bed and pulled Sophie into his lap.
Kristen picked up the fork and dug into the pancakes, holding the first bite out to Sophie. “You go first, Baby.”
Sophie’s eyes widened and she took the sugary bite into her mouth. “Mmmm I’m a good cook!” she exclaimed.
“You know what else you are?” Kristen asked.
“What?”
Kristen leaned forward and kissed her daughter’s sticky lips. “You’re my favorite little girl in the whole wide world!”
Sophie grinned. “You’re my favorite Mummy in the whole wide world!”
Kristen let Sophie take the fork from her hand and cut another piece of pancake off for herself. She felt Rob nudge her shoulder and looked over at her husband.
“Happy Birthday, Love.”
She grinned. “They get better every year.”
-FIN
No comments:
Post a Comment